What: Ironcupcake Competition
Where: Cuban City, Citypoint, 1 Ropemaker Street (Tube: Moorgate)
When: Every 1st Monday of the Month
This month's theme: Spice
BIG THANK YOU to the organisers (the Cake Crusader) who really made a HUGE effort to make the competition popular and wonderful!
Personal challenge: Making it Vegetarian
Original recipe: Chai Latte Cupcake with Cinammon honey cream cheese frosting (Thanks to Couture's Cupcakes blog)
Ready for my version?
alternative vegan recipe...
To view more pictures, head to my album =)
- 2 x Tazo brand Chai Tea bags from StarBucks - this brand was particularly picked out base on my research on Chai teas (I actually bought all the ingredients to make my own but have no grinder available). This teabag consist of herbs such as cardmom, star anise, cinammon, ground black pepper, ginger and black tea. Very reasonable price too.
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy milk
- 2/3 cup plain soy yogurt (Brand: Alpro)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 30g margarine, melted
- 1 cup (110g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 x Eggs replacement - 2 tbsp baking powder, 2 tbsp cider vinegar, 2 tbsp boiling water
- 250g / 1 cup margarine
- 2 tbsp plain soy yogurt
- 1 tbsp syrup (Brand: Lyle's)
- 1-2 cups icing sugar (I add this in tbsp quantities to suit taste)
- 1-2 tbsp milk (I add this last in tsp quantities to create the texture I want)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinammon
- 2 tsp green colouring
- Pinch of peppermint flavouring
- In a measuring cup, add the 2 tea bags to the boiling water and let it simmer for 1 minute. Add the soy milk and granulated sugar after and give it a good stir. Let the mixture simmer for another minute before draining the tea bags.
- Preheat oven to 180DegC (350 F). Line 12 capacity muffin tray with muffin liners.
- Combine yogurt and baking soda and stir. Set aside.
- Combine brown sugar and melted butter. Beat it by hand for 1 minute until mixture is mixed, i.e. sugar is spreaded evenly across the batter.
- Add the tea, yogurt mix, vanilla extract and mix by hand until batter is smooth (these are the wet ingredients)
- Sift the salt and flour after and mix until batter is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine vinegar, boiling water and baking soda. The mix will fizz initially. Keep stirring until the mix settles.
- Fold this last into the batter.
- Evenly divide the batter into the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes or toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Cream margarine until light and fluffy.
- Add the plain soy yogurt and syrup and mix the batter until they are mixed thoroughly.
- Add the ground cinammon.
- Alternate the icing sugar and soy milk. And add more of anyone to taste if necessary.
- When you're happy, divide the batter in half and add the green colouring and peppermint to one of them.
- Using a knife, slide each batter to one side of the icing bag. Tap it down until both of them combines
- Frost anything you want to your heart's desire...