Trying to get rid of food in the kitchen before a holiday?
Stuck with a loaf of bread by yourself?
Got too much milk?
Got 3 eggs to spare?
That is my dilemma at the moment...but I manage to dish out something that so happens combines all of the food above so that I can leave this place empty for 3 weeks. And what a great joy it is to actually make something and share it around.
As well as it's a food comfort dish too ;)
I give you my lovely Bread Pudding! Topped with custard to send you oozing down your spine.
- 9 slices of wholemeal bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup caster or granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp ground cinammon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 170 degC (325 degF).
- Butter a 2 litre casserole dish with unsalted butter and set aside.
- Cut bread into 1" cubes and place in large mixing bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, cream, eggs, sugars, and vanilla and beat well. Pour over bread cubes and stir; let stand for at least half an hour. (I kept mine overnight)
- Stir in chocolate chips and raisins, then pour mixture into prepared casserole.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until pudding is browned and set.
- Let cool for 20-30 minutes, then serve warm with ice cream, whipped cream, or a sweet sauce.