Pages

24/02/2010

Gyoza - Attempt no.1

 Photobucket

First attempt! Looks like plain soupy wonton to me =(

Couple of mistakes to learn from:
  • Buy RounD wonton wraps, not square!
Photobucket

Had to come up with an alternative 'shape(s)'.Tortellini and Rustic styleeee
  • Over filled the frying pan with too much water :S
  • Turned the wrong side of the stove on....what a start
Yes, it kinda turned out seriously tasty, as the flavours were all there but the texture wasn't there as yet. I shall try it again as I bought myself enough pork to practice on...



Makes 15 gyozas

Ingredients
  • 100g mince pork
  • 1 spring onion strip cut to fine pieces
  • 2 garlic bulbs cut to fine pieces
  • 1 tbsp minced / finely chopped ginger
  • 1/2 cup of finely chopped cabbage (I substitute this with lettuce instead since there wasn't any in the pantry)
  • 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp oyster sauce
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/4 tsp of salt
  • White pepper for seasoning
  • 15 wonton wraps
 


Method
  1. In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients above thoroughly. (I used a little mincing machine to help me cut all my vegetables together before mixing it with the pork).
  2. See here to wrap the pork mixture.(I used square wraps, so I used the tortellini method and the I-can't-be-bothered rustic method, where I dump 1 tsp of pork mixture into the middle of the wrap and combined all corners together =P. The main aim was to get a nice base so that I get a crispier base when I fry them but I wasn't sure whether they would open halfway, that's why I did half and half.)
  3. Place a non-stick pan or wok at high heat.
  4. Add a tablespoon of sesame or vegetable oil to the pan, and fry half the batch (10) for 1-2 minutes, until the underside is golden.
  5. Carefully add water until it reaches half the height of the gyozas and cover (my biggest mistake).
  6. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the water’s absorbed.
  7. Remove the dumplings from the pan and keep warm, while you cook the remaining batch.
  8. Optional: Mix soy sauce and vinegar as the side sauce.

0 comments:

Post a Comment | Feed



Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
^

Powered by BloggerKitchen Virgin til 27 by UsuárioCompulsivo
original Washed Denim by Darren Delaye
Creative Commons License