Pages

21/01/2010

Fish Porridge aka Congee

After being back for a few days with the cold kicking in, I was craving for something soupy but yet filling and comforting. Not only that, of course with this weather, one would just want to crawl into bed and 'hibernate'. Hence I find that the best way to keep alert and 'awake' through this 'challengin' and dull weather is to go for brain food - FISH.




Behold here is my simple version of cooking up a fish congee or fish porridge. It is super easy, and very very quick (Does help abit when there is plentiful of chinese ingredients in the pantry unused)


For 2 people

Ingredients
  • 2 fish fillet of your preference (I used Haddock)
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cup rice
  • 3 cups water
  • 1/4 cup chopped ginger
  • 1/2 cup spring onions chopped
  • 1/2 dried shallots
  • 3 tbsp roasted ground peanuts
  • Soy Sauce to taste
  • White pepper powder to taste
Method
  1. Coat the fillets with sesame oil. Further rub salt and ginger on the fish prior to placing it in a rice pot
  2. In a rice pot, wash the rice a couple of times before adding 3 cups of water.
  3. Add ginger and fillets into the pot
  4. Let the rice cooker cook. If you don't have a rice cooker, a normal pot is also possible. Place the pot on the stove and place the power on high, bring it to a boil and let it simmer.
  5. While simmering, stir the rice in the pot so that the rice does not stick on the bottom of the pot and burn. Do this every 2  minutes. This process is also used if you're using the rice cooker.
  6. Keep stirring until the rice doubles its size and expands until soft and 'mashed' in a way that you do not require much effort to press each rice with your fingers.
  7. Add water if necessary if the mixture gets dry. At this time, the fish meat would be soft and will easily be mixed as you stir.
  8. Scoop into a suitable bowl and add the following in order: soy sauce, peanuts, spring onions, shallots and white pepper.
  9. Mix and Eat! Nom nom nom.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Genial82, I love how you decided to make Congee! And I know exactly what you mean when you want to hibernate because of the weather. It has been so long since I had congee, but reading your post reminded me of the way my mom used to make it, and it really is good for your mind! This site was such a pleasure to visit. Well presented, clean, clear and beautiful photos. I shall be returning for another delicious bite. Thank you for sharing,
Cheers, Gaby
You can visit me at http://ptsaldari.posterous.com

Genial said...

Thanks for popping by my blog site Gaby! I really like your 2 latest opinion post in your blog too! Really appreciate your support and kind words for my blog. I shall try and get around to blogging more on food again once I settle abit more =D

Post a Comment | Feed



Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
^

Powered by BloggerKitchen Virgin til 27 by UsuárioCompulsivo
original Washed Denim by Darren Delaye
Creative Commons License